Protect Your Balance
After receiving your ConnectCard, you can protect the value on the card by signing up for balance protection, which is a free service.
Balance protection preserves the value on your ConnectCard in the event it is lost or stolen. This service enables Port Authority to deactivate your old card and transfer your balance and/or pass to a new ConnectCard.
Riders do not automatically receive balance protection on their ConnectCard. You must sign up for balance protection by calling Port Authority Customer Service.
Follow these steps to sign up:
- Get a ConnectCard. Learn how to here.
- Wait 24 hours after receiving your card, then call Port Authority Customer Service at 412-442-2000 (TTY 412-231-7007).
- Be sure to have your card handy when you call. You'll need to provide your card's serial number to the Customer Service Representative.
- You'll also be asked for your mother's maiden name. This will serve as your password in the event your card is lost or stolen.
If your card is lost or stolen, call Port Authority Customer Service immediately. We will deactivate your old card, and authorize a new ConnectCard with your balance/pass. You must pick up your replacement card at the Downtown Service Center on Smithfield Street. Please bring photo identification.
ConnectCard(s) that have been blocked, lost or stolen should never be deleted from your online account without first completing the following steps:
- Call Port Authority Customer Service at 412-442-2000 to block a lost or stolen card.
- Pick up a replacement card at Port Authority’s Downtown Service Center located at 534 Smithfield Street.
- Verify that your replacement card was properly linked to your web account.
- Confirm that the remaining stored cash value and/or pass from your old card was properly transferred to your replacement card.
Deleting the original card from your account before the steps above are completed could result in the loss of all previously purchased value on the card.
If a rider does not sign up for balance protection and loses a ConnectCard, the value and/or pass on the card cannot be recovered.
Please note that balance protection is not available for ConnecTix, which are intended for short-term use.